The crossbow isn’t new to the shooting world. Still, it has recently seen an uptick in its popularity as more and more women have taken an interest in hunting, specifically bowhunting. With this rise of more women crossbow hunting, many crossbow manufacturers have started fabricating models explicitly geared toward the female archer in their style and design.
Trying to find the perfect crossbow for yourself or a woman hunter in your life can be quite a headache. We’ve taken the hard work out of the elusive hunt for the best crossbows for women with this comprehensive list that includes what made each crossbow stand out and what we found lacking.
Before we dive right into our five best crossbows for women, let’s take aim at a few key points that you should keep in mind when choosing a crossbow and some crossbow terminology that will help you along the way. But first, let’s talk about what makes a women’s crossbow truly a women’s crossbow.
Table of Contents
What Is Different About a Women’s Crossbow?
Crossbow models that are specifically marketed towards women will have extremely specific design and style features.
What is Different About a Women’s Crossbow? Women’s crossbows are typically lighter and a bit easier to carry and maneuver. Of course, these features aren’t key to just women’s crossbows, but they are generally highlighted by manufacturers.
How Do I Know What Size Women’s Crossbow I Need?
Crossbow size is an important consideration when choosing the right one for you. Your crossbow’s intended use (target shooting, game hunting) is a significant factor in selecting the correct crossbow size.
Generally, crossbows can be found in 20- and 22-inch lengths. Choosing a crossbow of a smaller size will enable you to have greater maneuverability and carrying ability while hunting but may hinder the size of the game you pursue. Conversely, a larger crossbow may be cumbersome in narrow blinds and a heavier sidearm to carry through the woods, but you’ll be able to easily fell larger game.
Key Points to Keep in Mind When Purchasing a Women’s Crossbow
- Draw weight: The higher the draw weight of a crossbow, the more power your crossbow will have. Draw weight also directly impacts accuracy, so it is preferable to find a balance between the draw weight and your ability to enable precision firing.
- Velocity: Crossbow velocity is calculated in feet per second (fps). The higher the FPS is for your crossbow, the faster and harder your arrow will hit its target. You should keep in mind state regulations on the maximum threshold FPS allowed for crossbows when making your purchase.
- Weight: If carrying your crossbow long distances is in your future, you’ll want to be sure to purchase a lightweight, compact model.
- Cost: The price range for crossbows is across the board, but the price doesn’t always equate with quality.
What to Look for in a Women’s Crossbow
There are a few things that you should look for when purchasing a women’s crossbow:
- Lightweight: This one is self-explanatory. Unless you want to lug an extra 10 to 15 pounds around while searching for a prime hunting spot, you’ll want to go with a lighter-weight crossbow model.
- Low-Medium Draw Weight: You’ll definitely want to keep draw weight in mind when purchasing your new crossbow. Make sure to choose a weight that you can manage (even with assistive cocking devices).
- Shorter Power Stroke: You’ll want to choose crossbow models with shorter power strokes that don’t limit your power.
- Width: A narrow crossbow width will increase your ability to maneuver easily while hunting. When choosing a new crossbow, look for models that measure 14 to 15 inches.
- De-Cocking Function: It can be frustrating to have to fire your cocked and loaded arrow into the ground. Selecting a crossbow that has a built-in de-cocking feature will erase that issue altogether.
- Anti-Dry-Fire Technology: Dry firing your crossbow can be detrimental to your bow and dangerous to you. Look for a crossbow with built-in anti-dry-fire technology, and you’ll never have to worry about a dry fire again.
- Design: Though a pretty camo pattern may not be of the utmost importance, it is an option that you can keep in mind when searching for a new crossbow.
Need-to-Know Crossbow Terminology
Our top five best crossbows for women reviews contain key specifications, and here is a quick rundown of what each means:
- Draw weight: The amount of force in pounds required to draw (cock) your crossbow
- Bow weight: The carry weight in pounds of your crossbow
- Length: The total length in inches of your crossbow
- Power Stroke: The distance in inches that the string of your crossbow travels from the cocked position to the resting position after firing
- Speed/Velocity: The speed in feet per second (fps) of the arrow leaving your crossbow
- Kinetic Energy: The amount of energy an arrow carries when in flight, measured as foot-pound of kinetic energy (fpke)
Now that you’re familiarized with crossbow terminology and a few key points to keep in mind while making your purchase decision, let’s track on to the real reason why you are here.
The Five Best Women’s Crossbows
1. Barnett XP 370
- Draw weight: 185 pounds
- Weight: 6 pounds
- Length: 31.25-33.7 inches
- Power stroke: 13.75 inches
- Velocity: 380 fps
- Kinetic energy: 122 fpke
This is one of the most powerful, longest-lasting crossbows on the market. The Barnett XP 370 is easy to use, simple to assemble, and lightweight, at only six pounds.
With velocities of 370 fps and 122 fpke, the Barnett XP 370 is ideal for big game animals. The adjustable cheek rest and butt stock make this crossbow completely personalizable.
Included with purchase is a 4X32 mm scope, lubrication wax, a side-mount quiver with two 20-inch carbon arrows, and a crank cocker device to aid with the 185-pound draw weight.
2. CenterPoint Sniper 370
- Draw weight: 185 pounds
- Weight: 7.9 pounds
- Length: 36.5 inches
- Power stroke: 13.5 inches
- Velocity: 370 fps
- Kinetic energy: 110 fpke
Constructed out of composite and aluminum, the Sniper 370 is an affordable option that carries a high velocity (370 fps) with a 180-pound draw weight, countered by the included cocking device.
Coming in at right under eight pounds of bow weight, carrying the Sniper shouldn’t be an issue. However, it is heavier than comparable models. Along with being lightweight and durable, this crossbow also comes with anti-dry-fire technology.
The Sniper 370 is fully customizable with its interchangeable foregrip and adjustable buttstock. This crossbow is a steal with its affordability, light weight, and tremendous power.
All in all, the Sniper 370 has been designed to be ideal for women hunting with crossbows. Its functionality in the archery world is illustrated by its lightweight, user-friendly design and precision. Because of the safety elements and anti-dry-fire technology, this crossbow is suitable for use by everyone, and it will surely impress you!
3. Velocity Archery Defiant XB-350
- Draw weight: 150 pounds
- Weight: 7.5 pounds
- Length: 33 inches
- Velocity: 325 fps
- Kinetic energy: 95.48 fpke
The compact frame, vertical grip, and ambidextrous safety switch make the Velocity Archery Defiant XB-350 one of the most inclusive crossbows on the market. Although small, the XB-350 is fierce, boasting a powerful 325 fps velocity.
The ergonomic design of the XB-350 features panel grips, a rubber butt plate, and a cheek rest that allow you to extend the comfort of your hunt. Not only will you be comfortable hunting with the XB-350, but you’ll be quiet with sound-reducing dual string suppressors.
When you purchase the XB-350, you also receive a 4×32 mm illuminated scope, neoprene sling, four-arrow quiver, cocking rope, and rail lube.
4. Barnett Whitetail Hunter II
- Draw weight: 160 pounds
- Weight: 6 pounds
- Length: 34.25 inches
- Power stroke: 12.5 inches
- Velocity: 350 fps
- Kinetic energy: 103 fpke
Women hunting with crossbows who desire safety and power will be more than happy with the Whitetail Hunter II. This ultra-light (6.9 pounds), powerful (400 fps), affordable, easy-to-use crossbow has made this list for a reason.
Not only does the Whitetail Hunter II come equipped with Sure Safe anti-dry-fire protection, but it also boasts quiet, powerful shots with its frictionless release technology. You will also get an integrated rope cocking device, a quiver, two 22-inch arrows, and a 4×32 mm scope with the purchase of your Whitetail Hunter II.
5. TenPoint Titan M1
- Draw weight: 180 pounds
- Weight: 6.4 pounds
- Length: 32.5 inches
- Power stroke: 14 inches
- Velocity: 370 fps
- Kinetic energy: 113 fpke
If you are looking for a durable, long-lasting crossbow that is both consistent and dead-on accurate, look no further than TenPoint’s Titan M1. It has an extended power stroke and improved rotation thanks to the inverted VX-5 cams.
The Titan M1 is much more easily carried and maneuvered in the field than its predecessor. Plus, you can reduce the crossbow’s draw weight to a light-as-a-feather five pounds with the optional ACUdraw cocking assistive device.
With the purchase of TenPoint’s Titan M1, you will also receive 3 Pro Elite carbon arrows, a 3X Pro-View 3 scope, and TenPoint’s own three-bolt instant detach quiver.
Why You Should Invest in a Quality Crossbow
Choosing one of the amazing crossbows listed above comes with a host of benefits. These include:
Mobility: The right crossbow selection will make stealth travel through the woods easier because it will be less likely to become tangled in brush, branches, or vines. Choosing the right size crossbow for you will also mean that you can cover lengthier distances while avoiding the fatigue that comes with carting heavy gear. You’ll also increase the longevity of your crossbow if it isn’t constantly being bumped and jolted into things such as tree trunks and brush.
Efficiency and Effectiveness: The ultimate goal of your crossbow is to fell your target prey, so making the investment into a quality crossbow simply makes sense. As a hunter, you are always on the lookout for a crossbow that can efficiently, quickly, and humanely kill your prey. Choosing the right crossbow will make that an easier mission to accomplish.
Built Just for You: The perfect women’s crossbow model is the one that you feel most comfortable using. The ideal crossbow for you will fit everything you need, from the weight to the draw weight to the color of the design and everything in between.
The crossbows we included in our list of five best crossbows for women may not say that they are all explicitly designed for women. Still, you have to keep in mind there are truly no “female” or “male” crossbows. If you can handle the draw weight of the crossbow you choose, then that is the crossbow for you!
The ability to control the draw weight and properly cock your crossbow is honestly the most crucial thing (beyond intended use) in choosing the best crossbow for you.
We sincerely hope that our list of the five best crossbows for women has helped you narrow down your archery options and given you the knowledge to make the best choice for you.